First Tau Camo Paint Job

So I started a Tau army, and I got this Hammerhead off ebay. I really like the chopped up camo style Tau paint, so I did it in a combination of purple/greys. I started with a white primed model.


Next I took some electrical tape and I cut lines into it to make the shapes I would use as masks.

There are three layers of paint colors for this technique, and they have to look good together. I picked three colors that were subtly different. Ulthan Grey, Slaanesh Grey, and Warpfiend Grey (Citadel Paints).

I decided to go light to dark, so I sprayed Ulthan Grey first, then after it dried, I put some of the electrical tape masks on the model.

After the mask was on, I sprayed the middle color (Slaanesh), let it dry, put more mask bits on the second layer, and sprayed the third color (Warpfiend).

After the third layer dried, I removed all the tape, and the camo print was revealed. It turned out to be killer. I intended it to be more grey and less purple, but when I finish it with washes, then I’ll tone it down.

It’s a cool effect.